- Mission Statement
- Our History
- Awards Won
About Barlow Tyrie
To be the leading manufacturer of leisure furniture
whose brand represents the highest standard of quality and service.
At Barlow Tyrie, we only manufacture furniture of the highest quality, achieved by combining the best materials with our many years of experience. Our range of furniture includes many pieces that have won design awards and are frequently copied classics.
- We make our teak furniture from the top grade of plantation grown teak (tectona grandis) sourced from Indonesia. We combine the teak with fittings made from marine-quality solid brass or stainless steel.
- We make our stainless steel furniture from two grades of stainless steel; 316 grade, known as 'marine grade' due to its common usage in coastal environments, and 304 grade, which is more commonly used inland. Both grades make for excellent quality garden furniture.
- The powder coated aluminium furniture we manufacture is created from 'Virgin Aluminium', so-called because it has not previously been recycled. This makes the furniture even stronger and longer lasting.
- For our woven furniture, we use the finest synthetic material, which is woven by hand over powder coated aluminium frames. This combination creates a piece of furniture that is strong, colour-fast and resistant to sun and rain.
- For chairs that require a fabric sling, such as the Horizon Stacking Armchair, the sling is made from Textilene ® which is woven from a PVC coated polyester, non-stretch yarn resulting in a product that is very strong, colour-fast and resistant to sun and rain. Similarly, our cushions are made from Sunbrella fabric; a 100% solution dyed acrylic fibre that is colour fast and resistant to mildew.
Barlow Tyrie was founded in 1920 by Frederick Barlow and Victor Tyrie in London, England. They quickly gained a reputation for their outdoor furniture, made almost entirely by hand and to the highest standards.
In 1967 Peter, son of the founder Victor Tyrie, joined the company and in order to increase production levels relocated to a new factory at Braintree, outside of London. Growing demand for the company's products has resulted in the steady expansion of this factory, which now occupies 90,000 ft2 / 8,000 m2.
In 1986 the company formed its subsidiary Barlow Tyrie Inc. in New Jersey, USA, to service the large casual furniture market in North America. This subsidiary has permanent showrooms in Chicago and at High Point, North Carolina.
In 1992 the company formed its subsidiary P.T. Barlow Tyrie Indonesia to ensure a continuing source of teak from the environmentally sound plantations on the island of Java. This action was in response to a ban, at that time, on the export of sawn timber by the Indonesian government. The factory of 200,000 ft2 / 18,000m2 processes teak logs, kilns sawn timber and manufactures components and products which are distributed to retail outlets and trade customers worldwide.
The company remains a family business and is now in its 3rd generation with Peter's sons, James and Mark, working in sales and design.
2011 – Certificate of Commendation for the high quality presentation of our stand at the RHS Chelsea Flower Show
2009 – Quattro sun lounger (with Infinity backrest adjuster) – Design Excellence Award. International Casual Furniture and Accessories Market (Tubular Materials category)
2006 – Horizon Sun Lounger – Design Excellence Award. International Casual Furniture Market, USA (Wood Casual Furniture category)
2006 – At the GLEE Exhibition, held at the National Exhibition Centre, Birmingham, Barlow Tyrie’s 120sqm exhibition stand was voted the best in its class by fellow LOFA members (Leisure and Outdoor Furniture Association). The contemporary design of the stand complemented Barlow Tyrie’s introduction of its new woven ranges of leisure furniture.
The award was presented to Sales Director, James Tyrie by Richard Ploughman, Secretary of LOFA.
2006 – Merchandising Excellence Award. International Casual Furniture Market, USA (Permanent Showrooms under 5,000 sq.ft)
2005 – Equinox High Dining – Design Excellence Award. International Casual Furniture Market ,USA (Tubular Materials category)
2005 – Equinox Sun Lounger – Award of Excellence, Hospitality Design Exposition. Sponsored by International Interior Design Association (IIDA)
2004 – Equinox Sun Lounger – Design Excellence Award. International Casual Furniture Market, USA (Tubular Materials category)
2004 – Equinox Circular Dining Table – Design Excellence Award, (Wood Casual Furniture category)
2003 – Virage Sun Lounger – Award of Excellence, Hospitality Design Exposition. Sponsored by International Interior Design Association (IIDA)
2002 – Reims Refreshment Chest – ADEX Platinum Award, USA (Casual/Accessories/Storage category)
2000 – Monaco Sun Lounger - Gold Award for Design Excellence. Design Journal Magazine, USA (Contract/Outdoor/Lounge category)
1998 – Glenham Curved Seat - Beatrix Farrand Award for Design Excellence. House and Garden magazine, USA
1995 – Arundel Extending Dining Table - Lillian B. Winchester Best of Show Award. International Casual Furniture Market, USA
1995 – Arundel Extending Table - Design Excellence Award. International Casual Furniture Market, USA (Wood category)
1994 – Commodore Recliner Chair - Design Excellence Award. International Casual Furniture Market, USA (wood category)
1994 – Waveney Range - Silver Product Design Medal. International Garden and Leisure Exhibition (GLEE), UK
1985 – Commodore Steamer Chair - Silver Product Design Medal. International Garden and Leisure Exhibition (GLEE), UK
1984 – Balmoral Circular Dining Table - Silver Product Design Medal. International Garden and Leisure Exhibition (GLEE), UK